The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. (JLC) Annual Campaign will:
- Support all aspects of the JLC mission by providing unrestricted funds to the operating budget
- Enable the JLC to maximize its impact in the community
- Create opportunities to invest in League members
For the 2012-2013 year, the JLC will contribute a total of 393 volunteers to community programs for an estimated 15,720 hours.
Developing the Potential of Women
JLC members receive training and leadership development that maximizes their ability to make a positive change in the community. Each year, more than 175 women serve in a leadership capacity within the League.
Improving the Community
Through the Healthy Child Initiative, the JLC currently provides volunteers and dollars to 23 community organizations for a total monetary value of $481,749.
Your Contributions in Action
- For $10, the Kids HealthLink committee can provide a child participant with a dental care kit that will encourage good oral hygiene habits
- For $25, JLC Child Life volunteers can provide a day of craft activities for children at Levine Children’s Hospital
- For $75, JLC Done In A Day volunteers can provide dinner to pregnant teenagers living in a group home
- For $150, the Training and Development committee can offer JLC members an opportunity that will enhance their leadership skills and encourage personal and professional development
- For $200, the JLC can provide educational workshops to parents of at-risk children through the Speakers’ Bureau
- For $500, the JLC Kids in the Kitchen committee can create and print healthy cookbooks that will teach Charlotte’s children how to prepare healthy meals and snacks
- For $1,250, the JLC can encourage healthy movement and lifestyle choices at a Go Kids Go! event
- For $5,000, the JLC Smiles committee can provide all participating children bus transportation to and from dentist offices during Give Kids a Smile Day
Lend Your Support Now
Support of the Annual Campaign comes in many forms. Please consider one of the available gift options to support our mission, create opportunities to invest in League members and maximize our impact in the Charlotte community.
- Gift of cash
- Gift from your donor advised fund
- Gift of publicly traded securities
- Gift of closely held securities
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the Annual Campaign different from membership dues?
The intent of the JLC dues is to cover support expenses (AJLI dues, building costs, administrative costs, all expenses required to run an organization of more than 2,000 people). Fundraisers, such as the Annual Campaign, support the mission of the JLC, which is to promote voluntarism, develop the potential of women and improve the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
Where do the Annual Campaign dollars go?
Annual Campaign dollars will go to unrestricted funds in our operating budget that support our mission. The dollars available in our unrestricted fund directly affects the amount we can distribute through our project dollar allocations each year. Therefore, your donation to the Annual Campaign will help the JLC maximize the impact it can make in Charlotte through financial contributions to community agencies and programs. In addition, these unrestricted funds support in-League training and education initiatives that enable us to invest in our members.
How does the Annual Campaign affect the overall financial health of the JLC?
Your support of the Annual Campaign helps to diversify the fundraising efforts of the JLC and places it in a position of strength when it comes to soliciting funds from grant-making organizations, such as corporations and foundations. The Annual Campaign is part of the overall Fund Development Plan that includes all of the fundraising initiatives of the League: events, planned giving, JLC WearHouse, the Annual Campaign, corporate sponsors, grants, the JLC Legacy Foundation and capital campaigns.
I already volunteer my time, why should I make a financial contribution?
We cannot sustain the health of the JLC and the services we provide to the members and our community without fundraising dollars.
Why give to an Annual Campaign while the economy is fragile?
Now more than ever, our community is counting on our volunteers, financial support and advocacy to improve the lives of families and children in the Charlotte region.
What is the financial goal of the Annual Campaign?
The financial goal for the 2012-2013 Annual Campaign is $55,000 and the member participation goal is 100%. We hope that all provisional, active and sustaining League members will seriously consider making a contribution to the Annual Campaign.
How much should I give?
Members should give what is meaningful and manageable for their circumstance. We have broken the gifts down into different circles, and those levels could be used as a guideline. Any gift makes a difference.
I can’t give a lot, how will my gift make a difference?
Together, small individual gifts can make a big difference. We would like to see every member donate, even if it’s only $10. Look at the brochure. We have many places where individual gifts of less than $100 can make a big impact.
What opportunities will I have to give to the Annual Campaign?
You can give online, pay with a check, credit card, cash, or add a donation to your annual dues. You can pay in monthly installments (if that is chosen, an email reminder will be sent to the member – a $150 minimum contribution is required for monthly installment reminders).
How long do I have to pay my contribution/pledge off?
This year’s Annual Campaign closes April 30, 2013 (the same date JLC WearHouse quota is due for JLC members).
How will the donors be recognized?
All donors recognized annually in The CRIER. If you do not wish to be recognized by name, please indicate that you wish your gift to remain anonymous.
How will matching gifts be recognized and factored into my Annual Campaign pledge?
We welcome matching gift contributions, but the donor must initiate this process (obtain, complete and submit the necessary paperwork to Saribeth Dozier in the JLC office). Simply checking the matching gift box on the pledge card does not mean you will get credit for a matching gift. Once a matching gift is confirmed and processed (e.g. the JLC has received the gift from the company), you will receive credit this gift. In order to count as part of a 2012-2013 Annual Campaign pledge, we must receive this gift by April 30, 2013. We are unable to bump a donor up to a higher giving circle (if applicable) until matching gifts funds have been received.
Who should I contact if I have questions about the Annual Campaign?
Click here to e-mail Julie Jernigan, Annual Campaign Committee Chair.