About the JLC
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, to developing the potential of women and to improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
Reaching Out Statement
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. and The Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI) reach out to women of all races, religions and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. will be a leading force in improving the lives of children and families in this community.
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. (JLC) commits financial and volunteer resources to community agencies and projects that are based on the needs of the Charlotte community and that are in line with the JLC community initiatives.
Community Projects 2015-2016
Since June 2013, the JLC has embraced the Healthy Family Initiative (HFI), an expansion of the Healthy Child Initiative, focusing on the physical, dental and mental health needs of Charlotte area children with an emphasis on the importance of family decisions and their impact on children.
|Community Projects||JLC Dollars Allocated||JLC Volunteer Hours Allocated|
|Alexander Youth Network||$1,000||400|
|Big Shots Saturdays||$8,500||800|
|Circle de Luz||$4,000||480|
|Done in a Day||$1,000||1000|
|Give Kids a Smile||$4,000||800|
|Go! Kids! Go!||$7,000||1,000|
|JLC Healing Arts for Hemby||$2,500||600|
|JLC Family Support|
|The Salvation Army||$1,500||400|
|Lutheran Family Services||$3,500||400|
|Kids in the Kitchen||$3,500||800|
JLC Cornerstone Project at Reid Park Academy
The JLC Cornerstone Project at Reid Park Academy began with a partnership with the Council for Children’s Rights and numerous agencies to support the most vulnerable families at Reid Park Academy by providing a collaborative system of care with comprehensive and accessible support services. Financial Commitment: Since 2013, the JLC has provided nearly $300,000 to support the JLC Cornerstone Project at Reid Park Academy and will continue to provide additional financial investments in the replication of the system of care model. Volunteer Commitment: In addition to the financial commitment, the JLC will provide up to $500,000 worth of volunteer time to the JLC Cornerstone Project at Reid Park Academy over a five year period from 2013 to 2018.
- Almost 2,000 Charlotte area women are members of the JLC.
- More than 700 of our members are Active members who engage in hands-on community and internal volunteer commitments and manage our organization. Most of our Active members also work in a variety of industries across the Charlotte region.
- Over 1,000 of our members are Sustaining members who have previously served as Active members of our League but now serve in advisory roles and provide support to the JLC.
- Nearly 100 women have entered our Provisional Course this year seeking JLC membership.
Training and Education
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. provides diverse opportunities to our membership and community for training and personal development with programs such as the Leadership Development Institute (LDI), the Public Policy Institute, the JLC Mentor Program and Get on Board and with training seminars on professional, career, leadership and health topics.
The JLC engages in Advocacy at the local, state and national level through researching and addressing issues relevant to our Health Family Initiative. The current Advocacy focus is on food deserts and the lack of access to healthy foods. The JLC Advocacy and Public Awareness Committee and the State Public Affairs Committee propose public stands for the JLC and educate our members and community stakeholders on JLC advocacy initiatives including by providing information to public officials through the Annual Public Officials Breakfast, held at the JLC headquarters each spring.
Points of Interest
- Founded in 1926, the JLC has provided more than 1.5 million hours of volunteer service and over $13.5 million dollars to the Charlotte community.
- The JLC is a member of the The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI), which is comprised of 293 Leagues throughout the U.S., Great Britain, Mexico and Canada, with a collective membership of more than 155,000 women.