Kids in the Kitchen
The Junior League of Charlotte is proud to introduce a new program this year, Kids in the Kitchen. This program is intended to teach children and their parents healthy choices and nutrition through the preparation of healthy meals. The goal of this initiative is to empower youth to make healthy lifestyle choices and help reverse the growth of childhood obesity and its associated health issues. The program is supported by a website, www.kidsinthekitchen.org. The website includes bilingual recipes, tips on nutrition, fitness and healthy lifestyles as well as an interactive “Kid’s Corner” with an online nutrition game provided by Kids in the Kitchen international sponsor Cartoon Network. Be sure to check it out!
- Keep Healthy Food on Hand: If junk food is the only food readily available, then it is harder to avoid it.
- Put Vegetables into the Mix for Kids: Offer raw finger food veggies with dips such as salsa, bean dip or flavored yogurt.
- Pack brown bag lunches that are easy to prepare and fun to eat: sandwiches, raw veggies, crackers, string cheese, whole fruit and puddings.
- Take time when you're eating, not seconds!
- Drink water before a meal.
- Substitute brown rice for potatoes and white rice.
Be sure to check out the Junior League of Charlotte and Kids in the Kitchen Websites for upcoming Kids in the Kitchen events, and more healthy tips, exciting recipes and lot’s more fun!!
Cheese and Apple Sailboats
4 slices cheese
- Cut the apple into four wedges, and remove the core
- Trim the cheese slices to make triangles resembling sails.
- Thread the cheese triangles on wooden toothpicks.
- Stick the toothpicks into the apple wedges for sails.