Thank you to everyone who participated in the 6th annual Little Black Dress Initiative. Stay tuned for the 7th annual event coming in March of 2022.
What is the Junior League of Charlotte?
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. (JLC) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, to developing the potential of women and to improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The JLC was founded in 1926 and in its over 90 years, has provided more than 1.6 million hours of volunteer service and more than $13.7 million to the community. Our membership includes over 1,700 committed volunteer members in the Charlotte and surrounding communities.
- What is the Little Black Dress Initiative?
LBDI is a week-long, social media driven fundraising campaign that uses the iconic ‘little black dress’ to raise awareness about poverty and its effects. Participants wear one black dress for five consecutive days and are encouraged to harness the power of social media to drive online donations. The purpose of LBDI is not just to wear the same dress for five days. It provides a chance for us, as Junior League of Charlotte members, to discuss the needs in our community and what we can do to help.
- Where will my donations go?
The funds raised make possible the work and mission of the Junior League of Charlotte. All donations are fully tax deductible. A few of the ways the JLC is using unrestricted donor gifts to address the devastating effects of poverty are:
- In the past year, providing more than 1,400 immunizations to school age children through Big Shot Saturdays so they can attend school and stay healthy.
- The JLC Give Kids a Smile team assists in providing free dental care, and provides education to elementary children on dental health.
- Is there a poverty problem locally?
Yes! Here are just a few shocking statistics:
- 50,000 children in Charlotte are currently living in poverty.
- Almost 1 in 5 children in Charlotte are currently living in poverty.
- Over 4,000 children in CMS schools are reported homeless.
- 134,000 Charlotteans are living in poverty.
Participation in the 6th annual LBDI is open to JLC members and the general public.