2018 – 2019 Fact Sheet
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, to developing the potential of women and to improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. will be a leading force in improving the lives of children and families in the Charlotte community.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment Statement
The Junior League welcomes all women who value our Mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of diverse individuals, organizations and communities.
Junior League of Charlotte (JLC) members serve on numerous boards and coalitions throughout the region, as well as lead a variety of business, civic, and nonprofit organizations.
– 1,700-plus Charlotte area women are members of the JLC. Membership is comprised of Provisionals, Actives, and Sustainers.
– Approximately 150 women are Provisionals who are new to the JLC. Provisionals spend a year completing a comprehensive training program that allows them the opportunity to volunteer with our community partners, learn about our League’s structure and history, and connect with our members.
– More than 700 of our members are Active members who participate in hands-on community service, oversee our leadership training programs, lead our fundraising initiatives, are responsible for internal and external communications and manage our organization.
– Nearly 900 members are Sustaining members who previously served as Active members of our League and now serve in advisory roles while continuing to support the organization.
The JLC provides a number of leadership training programs and opportunities for our members to both maximize their contributions to the mission and extend that service into their professional and charitable endeavors. Leadership programs include Get on Board, the Leadership Development Institute (LDI), the Mentor Program, and the Public Policy Institute (PPI). Additional monthly workshops, Training Tuesdays, focus on a variety of professional, leadership, health and personal growth topics.
The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc. (JLC) commits financial and volunteer resources to community agencies and projects that focus on the most critical needs of the Charlotte community. Starting June 1, 2018, the JLC will partner with our community to ensure that all children are school ready by focusing on health and educational needs of children from birth to fifth grade in priority areas of Mecklenburg County.
2018 – 2019 Community Projects and Partnerships
Alexander Youth Network
Big Shot Saturdays
Charlotte Speech & Hearing Center
Center for Community Transitions
Done In A Day
Give Kids A Smile
Heart Math Tutoring
Kids in the Kitchen
Second Harvest Food Bank
Total Dollars Allocated: $73,509
Estimated Volunteer Hours: 10,280
The JLC’s Advocacy and Public Awareness Committee, in partnership with the JLC Public Policy Institute, educates JLC members, community organizations, and policy-makers on issues facing the communities we serve. Our advocacy efforts fall into the following categories:
– Draft policy recommendations
– Act as JLC liaisons with city, state and federal legislators
– Host voter registration drives and Meet the Candidate events
Points of Interest
– The JLC is a member of The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI), which is comprised of 292 Leagues throughout the U.S., Great Britain, Mexico and Canada, with a collective membership of more than 155,000 women.
– Founded in 1926, when 30 women came together to establish the Junior League Baby Home to provide care for orphaned children.
– Junior League of Charlotte members have donated more than 1.5 million volunteer hours in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg community.
– The Junior League of Charlotte has donated more than $13.5 million in contributions to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg community.
Download our tax form here.
Alicia Morris-Rudd, President,
Tricia Magee, President-Elect
Ashley Soublet, Executive Vice-President
Claire Magee, Communications Manager
1332 Maryland Avenue Charlotte, NC 28209
Phone: (704) 375-5993 Fax: (704) 375-9730